The Weinberger Law Firm
NO FEE UNLESS WE WIN Free Consultation With A Personal Injury Attorney (916) 357-6767

Is California a no-fault state?

California is NOT a no-fault state. Only a handful of states have no-fault car accident insurance and California is not one of them. We follow the traditional tort system, where injured individuals have the right to sue negligent parties for compensation.

When is a driver at fault in a car accident?

Drivers are at fault when they ignore simple rules of safety. These include reckless driving, speeding, running a red light, failure to signal, driving under the influence and distracted driving. Not all personal injury suits are against the other driver; they can also be against the manufacturer of defective equipment or the party responsible for maintaining safe roadways.

What should I do after I am involved in an accident?

  • Check to see if you have been injured. If so, see a doctor immediately. Even if you “check out OK,” pay attention to your body in the days that follow, alert for a change in your condition.
  • Collect information. If your injuries are not an emergency, write down the location, date and time of the accident. If there were witnesses, get their basic information. Describe the make and models all the vehicles involved in the crash. Get insurance information from all parties. Do NOT say, “It was all my fault.”
  • Talk to the police. You should call them even if you do not appear to be seriously injured. You want your case to be documented, and police notes are an important part of that.
  • If you have been visible injured, have a friend take pictures of the injury, right after the accident and in the days that follow.

What if the other driver has no insurance?

California insurance usually provides UM coverage, for accidents involving uninsured and underinsured motorists. Work with your attorney to file a claim with your own insurance company to cover your losses.

What kind of compensation might I receive?

If the auto accident involved negligence, you may be entitled to money for medical expenses, lost wages, disability or disfigurement and pain and suffering. There are additional compensations for family members in accidents that are fatal.

Talk To An Attorney About Your Legal Needs

Contact our office to discuss your injury claim. We offer a free initial consultation where you can get honest answers to your questions and learn more about your legal options. You can reach us by phone at (916) 357-6767 or send us an email to schedule an appointment.

Additional Resources


Fill out this form to request a FREE CONSULTATIONAll fields are required
Get the help you need today from a law firm you can trust!